Pet Warning

Most artificial sweeteners are dangerous if not deadly to all dogs.

This IS true… it checks out on these websites:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2007-03-18-xylitol-sweetener_N.htm

http://xylitol-facts.blogspot.com/2008/05/xylitol-and-dogs.html

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/xylitol.asp

Warning to all dog owners – pass this on to everyone you can. Last Friday

evening, I arrived home from work, fed Chloe, our 24 Lb. dachshund, just as

I normally do. Ten minutes later I walked into the den just in time to see

her head inside the pocket of Katie’s friend’s purse. She had a guilty look

on her face so I Looked closer and saw a small package of sugar-free gum. It

contained xylitol.

I remembered that I had recently read that sugar-free gum can be deadly for

dogs so I jumped on line and looked to see if xylitol was the ingredient. I

found the first website below and it was the one. Next, I called our vet.

She said to bring her in immediately. Unfortunately, it was still rush hour

and it took me almost 1/2 hour to get there.

Meanwhile, since this was her first case, our vet found another website to

figure out the treatment. She took Chloe and said they would induce her to

vomit, give her a charcoal drink to absorb the toxin (even though they don’t

think it works) then they would start an iv with dextrose. The xylitol

causes dogs to secrete insulin so their blood sugar drops very quickly.

The second thing that happens is liver failure. If that happens, even with

aggressive treatment, it can be difficult to save them. She told us she

would call us. Almost two hours later, the vet called and said that contents

of her stomach contained 2-3 gum wrappers and that her blood sugar had

dropped from 90 to 59 in 30 minutes.

She wanted us to take Chloe to another hospital that has a critical care

unit operating around the clock. We picked her up and took her there. They

had us call the ASPCA poison control for a case number and for a donation;

their doctors would direct Chloe’s doctor on treatment. They would continue

the iv, monitor her blood every other hour and then in 2 days test her liver

function.

She ended up with a central line in her jugular vein since the one in her

leg collapsed, just as our regular vet had feared. Chloe spent almost the

entire weekend in the critical care hospital. After her blood sugar was

stabilized, she came home yesterday. They ran all the tests again before

they released her and so far, no sign of liver damage. Had I not seen her

head in the purse, she probably would have died and we wouldn’t even have

known why.

My vet told me this weekend, that they were amazed that I even knew about it

since they are first learning about it too. Please tell everyone you know

about xylitol and dogs. It may save another life.

Spread the Word:

blinkbits blinklist bloglines blogmarks buddymarks comments citeulike delicious digg diigo feedmelinks fark furl google gravee linkagogo magnolia netvouz newsvine onlywire propeller reddit simpy slashdot sphinn spurl squidoo stumbleupon tagtooga taggly tailrank technorati rawsugar rojo yahoo
Help stop the Seal slaughter

-------------------------

Canadian Animal Abuse Database

To view Animal abuse cases in Canada: Click Here


-------------------------

Permission to use photos of Queen Waldorf provided by Niagara Falls Humane Society


-------------------------

Falling Behind:
An international comparison of Canada's
Animal Cruelty Legislation

Click Here to view
Permission to post cruelty report given by IFAW